Sunday, September 15, 2013

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt


The nonfiction IRB book that I have selected to read this marking period is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. This book chronicles a murder that took place on May 2, 1981 in the grandest mansion of Savannah, Georgia. Some claim that this killing was a result of a controversy between two lovers. Others, however, assert that this was a premeditated murder. Through a first-person account of his life, Berendt generates an entertaining yet mysterious story of the murder case.

I chose to read this book because I intended to read it over the summer, but I never had the chance to. What intrigues me the most is the style in which the book is written. This book is written as if it were a novel, incorporating a lot of mystery and suspense. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is the first book that I have heard of that has been written in such a fashion. By reading this book, I hope to collect valuable writing strategies that I could later incorporate into my own work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment